Battery running low?
We've all had that situation happen to us before - You're either on that really important phone call, trying to follow directions via your favorite GPS app or even six paragraphs deep in a real serious text conversation and you're no where near a charger. Devastation sets in - and you start to think of all the ways you could have saved an extra percentage.
Here's a few simple steps that can make a huge difference:
Turn on "Low Power Mode"
- This may seem obvious, but most don't think about doing this until they get that pesky notification! Head into Settings > Battery to switch it on. Most Androids offer a similar feature that can be toggled on at any time.
Use Wi-Fi when its available (This saves your data too!)
- Here's the tricky part, don't leave the Wi-Fi on all the time unless you are connected! You're phone will waste battery trying to find a new connection. The same goes for Bluetooth. You can control Bluetooth and Wi-Fi from the quick settings menu on most phones.
Lower the "brightness" of your screen
- Fun fact: One of the worst culprits of battery life is the display!
Delete the Facebook app, use your browser instead
- Facebook takes the cake, and there is a way around it without missing out on your third cousin's status update. You can access Facebook from your smartphones browser for nearly an identical experience. How 90's of us!?
Turn off unused apps
- Those pesky things are still running in the background!
Turn off AirDrop
- This one is for iPhones only .. Apples Airdrop is a useful tool for quickly sharing pictures, except when it comes to draining your battery. You can do this by Settings > General > AirDrop
Turn off "Hey Siri" & "Okay Goggle"
- Being able to have a personal assistant is great and all, but that means your phone is always listening and that takes up a nice chunk of battery!
Turn off Automatic App Updates
- Switching off automatic app updates reduces the amount of activity happening in the background on your phone. Do it when your ready.
Turn off Visual Effects, Live Widgets & Live Wallpaper.
- Something needs to keep these things going 24/7 .. & we're going to go with your battery on this one!
Turn off Location Tracking for Apps that don't need it
- Facebook doesn't need to know you posted that status in GA, but Google Maps needs to help you find your way back home. On an iPhone, just go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services to see which apps are tracking you. Androids offers a similar feature, head to Settings > Security & Location > Location
Small steps, big results.
The key to saving battery life on your phone is ensuring that features aren't dragging you down when not in use. Taking a few extra steps to ensure your device isn't constantly running when it shouldn't be can make a huge difference to save you some of that precious battery life.